Septic Tank and ConSepts
- Q: What is a ConSept?
- A: A conversion of a septic tank to a sewage treatment plant.
- Q: Can I still make use of the Septic Tank if the Soakaway has failed?
- A: If GRP constructed you can. If brick it will depend on sizes but if the depth of the water is below the inlet level more than 1.1m and volume of water is more than 2m then we can fit a ConSept.
- Q: Can I construct a new Soakaway?
- A: YES, if there is room.
- Q: Can I outfall ConSept treated water to a ditch?
- A: YES, but only if you obtain a permit from the EA
- Q: How often does a septic tank need emptying?
- A: every 12 months, with a ConSept. Two years is possible, depending on the size of the Septic Tank.
- Q: Can rain water go into a septic tank?
- A: NO, heavy rain can wash all the stored solids into the Soakaway or ditch or block the ConSept.
- Q: How do I test to see if rain water gets into the septic tank?
- A: Lift the manholes and observe. Flush toilets and run the taps etc. then poor into storm down pipes yard gullets, etc. Draw a plan, show in red storm water in blue.
- Q: If my septic tank goes into a Soakaway, do I need permission to install a ConSept?
- A: NO. But you do if you decide to outfall it into a ditch.
- Q: What does the engineer do in a service of a ConSept, what does it entail?
- A: Check pumps, insitu, takeout, strip and clean, check distributor head/wiring junction box/panel and timer if applicable.
- Q: Why does our unit trip?
- A: Too much back pressure for the air blower. Needs desludging. Discuss this with the Service engineer.
- Q: How long is it before we can use toilets while the ConSept is being installed?
- A: Immediately, and you can use both shower and washing machine later in the day.
- Q: What happens with wet wipes?
- A: Not normally a problem.
- Q: How to reset unit after power cut/ pumps tripping electrics?
- A: Turn off. Turn on.
- Q: When will my unit need emptying?
- A: For Diamond units, every 3 years. ConSept in a GRP tank, once every 2 years but in a brick tank better to empty every year. Discuss with the Service Engineer. He is in a better place to make judgement.
- Q: Can we use bleach?
- Q: Bleach can be used in moderate amounts. The unit should not smell like a ST and bleach in excess is not needed. A cap full per week should be enough, preferably not all on one day.
Laws and Regulations
- Q: Binding Rules. How do I know I am not breaking the rules?
- A: Read the Binding rules. Click here or ring us. Also see official rules here
- Q: Do I need planning permission if I change from a Septic Tank to a Diamond unit (or any other Sewage Treatment Plant)?
- A: YES